11 January 2012
Posted in Radio
Entries are invited for prestigious radio drama awards run by the Writers' Guild and the Society of Authors
Submission deadline: Monday 10th February 2012
The Tinniswood Award for best original radio drama
The Tiniswood Award honours the best original radio drama script broadcast in the UK over 2011 and until 30 June 2012, with a first prize of £1,500. The work must be an original piece for radio, and may also include the first episode from an original series or serial. When submitting 15-minute episodes from a series or serial we will require consecutive episodes (including the first episode) to make up at least 45 minutes. The judges reserve the right to call in the subsequent episodes if required. We welcome 30-minute plays provided they were stand-alone and that characters and situations are original to the writer. An adaptation for radio of a piece originally written for any other medium will not be eligible.
Submissions will be accepted from producers only and are restricted to a maximum of two entries per producer. Submissions must consist of:
- a complete nomination form from the producer;four copies of the writer’s script (as broadcast)
- a non-refundable entry fee of £50 - cheques should be made out to ‘The Writers’ Guild’ or by BACs to Unity Trust Bank, Account Name: Writers' Guild of Great Britain Tinniswood Award, Account No. 2013995, Sort Code: 08-60-01. Raising an invoice can be arranged
- a supporting statement, 250 word synopsis 250 words author biography (which should be emailed to email@example.com)
Entries will not be returned and should be sent to Anne Hogben, Writers’ Guild of Great Britain, 40 Rosebery Avenue, London, EC1R 4RX.
Judges for the 2012 award are yet to be confirmed. We are grateful to the Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society Ltd (ALCS) for their generous sponsorship of the Tinniswood Award.
The Imison Award for best original radio drama by a writer new to radio
The Imison Award encourages new talent by rewarding the best original radio drama script by a writer new to radio, with a first prize of £1,500. The work must have been broadcast in the UK over 2011 or scheduled for transmission until 30 June 2012. It must be the first dramatic work by the writer(s) that has been broadcast. It may also include the first episode from an original series or serial. An adaptation for radio of a piece originally written for another medium will not be eligible.
Submissions will be accepted from any party and must consist of
- a completed nomination form
- three copies of the writer's original script and recording of the broadcast (further copies may be requested if the work is short-listed)
- a supporting statement, 250 word synopsis and 250 word author biography (which should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Entries will not be returned and should be sent to Jo McCrum, The Society of Authors, 84 Drayton Gardens, London, SW10 9SB.The prize is judged by the Broadcasting Committee of the Society of Authors. We are grateful to the Peggy Ramsay Foundation for donating the prize money.